EP073: Sallie Doty
Sallie Doty didn't grow up in a hunting family, but spent a lot of time outside and being active. When she was younger she started out playing hockey and transitioned into swimming, which she continued to do to this day. She has competed in a triathlon and several half marathons, but just accomplished her first marathon.
Sallie got into hunting after she started to see her husband. He grew up in a hunting family and she knew that if she wanted to stick around, she had to start learning the rope and jumped in head first. Her first hunt was a dove hunt and had so much fun that she was hooked to it all!
Today, we talk about her process from Hockey to Marathon and the process you go through mentally. Sallie also shares her favorite hunting stories and explains how she got into trap shooting.
Things you will learn from Sallie
- 2-4 Hour swimming practices
- What swimming means to her now
- Triathlon - Biking is the hardest
- Bikers & Runners on the streets
- Marathon- The training process
- You have to eat while you run, Jelly Beans with electrolytes
- Mental thought through the marathon
- Swimming Marathons and Ultra Marathons
- First went dove hunting in the fall, enjoyed the social aspect
- First big game was a mule deer doe
- Filming their hunts
- Paddle fish tag
- South Dakota is a 21 point elk tag = 21 years
- Launch team for Taking Aim by Eva Shockey
Rapid Fire Questions
- Biggest Pet Peeve: My husbands snoring
- What is something you have always wanted to do but haven't? Elk hunting
- What is your secret obsession: I'm obsessed with my running shoes
- If you were to name 1 piece of clothing that best describe you, what would it be? Sweats
- If you could eliminate 1 thing from your daily schedule, what would it be? Putting in and taking out my contact lenses.
- If you were to get a plane ticket to go anywhere in the world, where would you go? Ireland
- If you didn't have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time? I would probably go on more vacations.
- What skill would you like to master? Sporting clay demolishing!
- What is the 1 thing that makes your day happen? I really enjoy getting up early in the morning.
- What is the best single day on the calendar? April 1st!
Social Media Links
FB: Sallie Doty